Rose's lime juice, often known simply as Rose's, is a line of juice products first patented in 1867. The range includes both the original concentrated squash or cordial and also diluted drink mixers. The company is now owned by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, part of its Mott's division. Lauchlan Rose patented the method used to preserve citrus juice without alcohol in 1867. The Merchant Shipping Act of that same year required all ships of the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy to provide a daily lime ration to sailors to prevent scurvy. The product became nearly ubiquitous, hence the term "limey" for British sailors. The brand was introduced to the United States in 1901. The first factory producing lime juice was set up (by Rose) on Commercial Street in Leith in 1868. After the end of World War II, the company saw its market share in the UK grow. In 1957, Schweppes acquired the company and operated it in the UK until it purchased Mott's in 1982. Cadbury Schweppes merged the operations of the two brands and Rose's operations were transferred to the United States. When Cadbury divested its beverage operations in 2008, Rose's was transferred to the newly formed Dr Pepper Snapple Group.